Saturday, June 28, 2008

Back from Chicago

The Mega Bus
Showed up at 10:30 pm, left around 11:00 pm.
Wow, that was interesting. Very packed, and almost uncomfortable. But the different people you meet and just see on those buses make the trip totally worth it. 
..................................................
Picked up and to the condo
Dan picked me up at 7:00 am
Dan (my cousin's husband) picked me up and as soon as I jumped in the car I found these in the back...
... awesome. 
When we got back to the condo at around 8:15am, we decided that we all needed naps. So we hit those up for a couple hours. Just until a few stores started opening.
..................................................
The Shops
The first shop we went to was dan's local comic shop. Very cool place, like most comic shops. Dan picked up a couple comics, I bought some vinyl figures, and we were on our way. 
Next we stopped at this little "hole in the wall" japanese toy store. Very cool/shady place with a very cool/shady guy who owns it. I walked up and asked if they were open and he hesitated and basically told me no, but yes if i knew I would buy something... saw some dunnys on the counter so i figured... might as well pick up a couple. We got to talking and he was closing up shop for the Chicago Comic Convention (Con). He had a booth there. We were thinking about it earlier but decided against it because the tickets were $50 a piece. He said that if we came by at 3, outside of the building the convention was held in, he would give us a couple of his passes for the day for $15 a piece. So we did and omg...
..................................................
Chicago Comic Con
I haven't geeked out this much in a long while. Everywhere you looked there were stands with comics, books, toys, art, weapons, and just about anything NERD. We walked around picking up comics, freebies, and some random items that we thought would be fun to have. 
We each walked out of there with a bag full of things we got for free and things we purchased. 
There was a huge statue of the Hulk set up at the DC booth. 
There were also all sorts of exclusive things sold at different booths. There must have been well over a hundred booths set up  in this place. Along with tables just lined with small time artists trying to sell their own ideas, art, books, and comics. 

I actually gave up my long awaited trip to rotofugi in order to go the the Chicago Comic Con. Which turned out good because rotofugi had a booth set up at the convention. Very cool people there, and I ended up pulling a few chase items. 
.....................................
Later that Night
We ended up leaving the convention at 6:45 pm, and going back to the condo for chinese food and Sushi take out (from two different places). My cousins sure know how to entertain a guest. We ended that night by playing a game on the Wii that was pretty much like Jenga... on crack... WAY COOL.
.....................................
This morning
We woke up, got ready, and left around 9.15 am.

Dan started off on the bike (Honda Shadow) and rode for about 1.5 hours while I rode with Chevis and Daniel in the Saturn. I took over for about 2 hours, and then dan finished off the trip in the middle of a storm. I guess we never really got it as bad as some parts of Minnesota, which Dan, I know, is very thankful for. Although at this point in the trip little Daniel was very awake and very much SCREAMING... but we made it. We got back around 6:00 pm.
Man, that was a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment