Saturday, January 23, 2010

It's a TRAP!

We're TRAPPED in the Phoenix Airport since our last plane had electrical glitches and took an hour longer to take off. The plane we were supposed to be on NOW left at 4:00pm, right about when we got into this airport. So they bumped us to a later flight and updated our tickets to FIRST CLASS :D but still :/ because we won't get in till close to midnight. Our new flight is at 7:50pm, so since we have time to kill, I figured I'd post about yesterday because I didn't have time to post yesterday.

so here goes.

Yesterday was the museum day. King Tutankamun, or King Tut as he's more well known, was the exhibit. It was pretty cool I guess, I kinda wish they would have had a bit more from his tomb but as I learned yesterday, his tomb had been robbed before, all the room except the one where his mummy was. Lots of interesting stuff which was pretty cool. Information about time back then and how the mummification process was done. Plenty more too, but it's been a day and how much do they really expect me to retain? Not really, I could go in depth about each thing at the exhibit but then that would take all night so I'll just cut the Tut stuff here.

Really the only thing that I was upset about was that I couldn't take pictures. They said that the Egyptian Government didn't want people taking pictures, but I didn't see any egyptian government people there. :/

Well after that we ate at this AWESOME little place called Pacific Catch: Fresh Fish Grill. It was awesome. I ordered an Unagi Wasabi Bowl. Pretty much a huge piece of Unagi (BBQ Eel) with "wakame salad, avocado, daikon sprouts, cucumber, ginger, sesame seeds, shredded nori and soy-wasabi sauce served over sushi rice".... Just awesome. I also ordered a spicy tuna roll, it was different than most because the fish wasn't shredded and mixed with the spicy mayo, it was in chunks, each piece had a huge chunk of tuna in it. SO AWESOME!

This place was located at:
1200 9th Avenue at Lincoln
Across from Golden Gate Park
San Francisco, CA 94122

If you're in the area, check it out. By far the best place we ate at this entire trip.

After that we went back to the hotel to drop off my mom's co-workers so they could catch their plane. Then my mom and I went to the Cartoon Art Museum (http://cartoonart.org/). As upset I was that I couldn't take pictures at the Tut exhibit, I was 30,000 time more pissed that I couldn't take them here. There were ALL sorts of cartoon art. Still from Samurai Jack, Still from Samurai Champloo, Stills from Gundom wing, these were all in the current exhibit, "Drawing the Sword". They also had an exhibit of "Webcomic Monsters", that was pretty cool too. One other thing they had was some of the figures from "Fantastic Mr. Fox" and that was really cool seeing how big they were. As much as I would have normally just said "F**K IT" and whipped out my camera to take pics, I really respected this place and their collection of art enough not to. I HAVE to go back there at some point, and if i would have taken pics i would have probably been fine never going back.

They also had a video playing, "Pixar Before They Were Stars". It featured a bunch of old animations done by Pete Docter, who directed "Monsters, Inc." and "Up", and was a writer on "Toy Story", "Toy Story 2", "Monsters, Inc.", "Wall•E" and "Up". They also had a bunch of videos by other people but his were some of the most notable.

This place's gift shop had just about everything that I was interested in, aside from dunnys. They had all the Miyazaki movies and their "The Art Of..." books. It was pretty coo, everything was overpriced so I didn't buy anything, but it was pretty cool.

AFTER THAT (this was a long day) we went back to the museum where the Tut exhibit was and we went to the Japanese Tea Garden next-door to it. THAT I have pictures of...

This is one of the first shots I took in the garden. and probably one of the best ones.


This was one of those AWESOME bridges that I've only seen in illustrations and old Japanese art. But we actually got to climb it. It was raining out and cold so... kinda slippery.


here's a pic of my parents trying to get off of it without falling. MAN that thing was steep.

And finally, the guy in the gift shop. He saw me admiring the swords they had on the wall so he took it down and showed it to me. He acted as if he were a samurai showing me his blade, but he was hilarious about it. He held it to his side really tight and puffed out his chest. Then he said it was fake because it wasn't sharpened. He also said that it was a very low price at $245. 0_0

In China Town they were selling sets of these swords for as low as $40-$50 for a long one, a short one and the stand.

After the Tea Garden, we drove to Pier 39. Nothing to brag about in my opinion. Lots of stores :/ but those are everywhere. We ate at a little pizza joint that wasn't very good and it was, you guessed it, raining, so it was a pain in the ass.

Now time to think about grabbing food before I get on the plane... although I think with our FIRST CLASS tickets we get a meal :) but we'll see...

Anyway, this probably concludes my posting of California 2010, unless I post more pictures once I go threw them at home.

P.S... Chevis and Dan, I can't get this out of my head. When we were at your place last, for Daniel's birthday party, Tammy and Dean were leaving and you asked Daniel if he said goodbye to Tammy and Dean... I think what you said was, "Daniel, aren't you going to come say goodbye to Tammy and Dean?" To which he replied in a almost british voice, "But I DID say goodbye to Tammy and Dean! GOODBYE Tammy... GOODBYE Dean..." I keep quoting that to my mom and she can't stop laughing. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment