Friday, October 16, 2009

Where The Wild Things Are



I loved it. Wasn't the longest or most in depth movie in the world, and I don't think it would hold a child's attention throughout almost any of it, but I thought it was great.

You know that feeling you get when you go see a movie based on a book and they leave all the good parts out... that wasn't the case, especially since Spike Jonze only had about 14 lines of story and dialogue combined. The Direction that Spike took this film in was definitely a good one. I don't know how most people are going to feel about it because it's not the typical ending that the "PUBLIC" wants or is used to, but it followed very closely to the book .

I read the book minutes before I left and I think that the movie was the best it could have been regardless of who was making it... unless Maurice Sendak himself did a complete animated, frame by frame of the story.

The creatures looked AMAZING, Max was awesome, the added story was clever. I really enjoyed how Spike Jonze didn't make it into something that it wasn't. When you read the book, it's all very vague, and I think he did an incredible job creating the same feelings that the book created, as well as adding some of his own story.

When I first got to the theater at 11:30, there was a line, I'm fine with lines. There was a bunch of annoying teenagers, I can deal with that. It was getting hot and I was still in line when 11:58 rolled around. At that point I was thinking, "they SHOULD have let us in by now," and, "I might have to find a manager to complain a little." I was texting people about these complaints and even told Zac that if I felt this way after the movie, I would definitely complain... well... I didn't even remember all of that until I got home and started blogging. I completely forgot, and in my mind, THAT is a good movie.

It wasn't what I was expecting, and I'm really happy about that. Recently, there have been very few movies that I commit to buying the DVD when I leave the theater... The only ones I can think of lately are Zombieland... and this.

No comments:

Post a Comment