Thursday, September 9, 2010

Labor Day Weekend

Last weekend, Gretchen and I went to my grandparent's cabin on Lake Osakis, for Labor Day weekend. We left Saturday morning and came back Monday morning. As soon as we got there we met my grandparents, Terri, Byron, Janaya and Braxton, and we didn't hesitate to start the fun.

It was no sooner than when we got out of the car that Gretchen joined the girls for a shopping trip and I hopped in the boat to go fishing with my grandpa, Byron and Braxton.

We didn't catch much. I think my grandpa caught two keepers and left Byron and me fishless... Braxton started getting antsy so we went in for lunch, dropped him off and headed back for the lake.

This time we hit the sweet spot...
Fish after fish...

We each caught our share... not our limit but it was still good.

After that we headed in. Byron waved goodbye.
I turned around for one last look at the lake.
So far, THAT was the single best fishing experience I've ever had.

Nothing but Sunnies. The biggest being half an ounce shy of a pound. (I think my grandpa caught that one.)
Here we posed with our 26 fish.

The biggest one is in the upper right corner.

We cleaned them and stuck em in the fridge for the next day when we'd have a FISH FRY!

That night, Gretchen and I introduced the game "Bananas" to my family and we all had a blast! Terri and Janaya especially. We also did "Shake a Day" (a bunch of dice games).

The next day we hit the lake again. This time it was BOTH my grandparents, Gretchen and I, even though I had to bait gretchen's hook and take all the fish off that she caught. Bryon hit the lake too, with Terri, Janaya and Braxton, but in his own speedboat. They even stopped by for a couple visits while we fished. They dropped Janaya off at the cabin and she ended up texting me to tell me that my mom drove out... we continued to fish. :)

After we caught about as many as we could, each of us catching our share of keepers, we headed in to clean em and cook em.

Photo opp.
Fred (Grandpa), Byron (Uncle), Braxton (Second Cousin). My grandpa looks so much bigger in these pictures but that's because he was sitting on the cooler while everyone else was on the step.

And here's one with me.

I made sure to wear my BRIGHT ORANGE hunting cap this weekend so the fish would know who's hook to jump onto.

That day we caught 15 Sunnies and a Perch (the only decent one all day).

We started the feast! They even made bacon wrapped shrimp! First grilled, then deep fried... you know, the really healthy stuff...

Bacon wrapped shrimp, coleslaw (home made), veggie kabobs, SOFT soft buns, and TWO KINDS of deep fried Fish, my grandma's traditional recipe, and my OTHER favorite, shore lunch.

BEST... Fishing Trip... EVER!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment